December 2010


A few things I found out tonight working on the Insight.

There is not an inspection panel to check the crankshaft end play. The oil pan would have to come off. The oil pan is clear of any obstructions, but it has the oil filter and something else attached to it. Decisions, decisions.

Here is the rear motor mount from my MT Insight. The mount is pictured just like it sits in the car. The broken leg points toward the front of the car, the good leg towards the rear, and the short leg points upward. The lower right leg is cracked clear through. Both lower legs are compressed when the car is in any forward drive gear. That means the lower legs are stretched when in reverse. With a broken leg the motor mount will not dampen the engine when in reverse. I was thinking of taking some of that Urethane window caulking called 3M Window Weld and gluing the broken leg back into place, but more importantly adding a bridge from the top leg to the inner ring. That will help the reverse gear chatter and help hold the broken leg in compression and hopefully make it a bit more stable. A new mount is about $80-$100USD. So a tube of Urethane and some time is a good trade off. The motor and trans are balanced well so that the rear mount being removed does not require anything to hold the motor in place.

Egr function is about volume of flow. A small reduction in cross sectional area creates a large reduction in the volume of egr gas flow. So I suspect these egr plates need to be kept clean for this super high performance Insight engine to do it’s job at 80-100mpg.

I ended up touching up the egr plate with q-tips and carb cleaner. The carbon is so dense and sticky that using the small screwdriver to get 99% of the carbon out was a mandatory first step! The egr jets (blocks) have tapered holes, so getting into each of them takes a little diligence.

Far better!

I just got back from Fuel Injector Corp in Livermore, CA. The injectors all had the same flow rate and also had an excellent pattern. Robert put 3 new o-rings on each injector. The flow rate that most peopel read about is 145 ml/min. But that’s only at full open. Mine were also checked at the equivalent of 3k rpm, with 43 psi fuel pressure. The seal that goes between the injector and the intake manifold had tiny cracks in it on the lip, at the very top of the seal. So I had to order them from Honda. They are a rare item so it was going to be 3 days. So I had them expedited and they will get here tomorrow for $12 more. The seals were only about $4 each. I could see reusing the old ones, but with 220k miles I am just not going to do this work twice. So the Insight sits for another day. I’ll go get them and the o-rings for the intake manifold in the morning. I may take the egr plate back out since it’s waiting for o-rings anyway and use some solvent and q-tips to polish up the passages a little more. Depends on how energetic I feel. We have plans tonight so I may not have time. Regardless the egr plate is clean and will help the Insight run far better when it’s finally back together!

« Previous PageNext Page »