heat/cold


While hunting around for shade ideas to make the yurt even more thermally efficient, I found this couple who added a great shade structure to their yurt. They took care of all of the issues I’m looking at with my yurt. Here is the thread where I found the initial information.

Here is a pic of their shaded Yurt on the Playa.

Here is the happy couple. Cowboy and Connie. Truly amazing to see yet a second yurt transported on top of a car roof. Gives me great hope that my Honda wagon will handle the load well. This couple used a roof rack. I don’t see any additional straps. I’ll have to find out if they used any straps to hold the yurt in place at freeway speed.

Here is Zanes car with his yurt transported on the roof as well. Zane reported that his yurt slid back about 5 inches during transport. Does not look like a roof rack was used.

I bought 4 more sheets of foam board and 6 more yards of canvas today. It’s making me nervous that there is only 4 weeks left and I’m building something so complicated that has never been built before. Plus the scooter needs work and so does the wagon!!!

Here is the first production zipper with canvas sewn onto each half of the zipper. This is a #10 coiled zipper. We could not get a long #10 toothed zipper fast enough. This coiled zipper is cheaper to make but looks to be strong enough for our uses. At first I ran just one row of stitches to see how strong the seams would be. They had some flex to them in tension. I added an extra row of stitches to each side of the zipper and it really didn’t make the joint any stronger. In fact it makes it a bit harder to unzip the joint due to the canvas being right up against the zipper pull. Zippers sewn into a K-Hing will only have one row of stitches on each side. I folded a 1/2 inch of the canvas under the bottom to make sure the canvas does not come unraveled with use. This also made for a nice looking seam.

Here is the zipper after it was installed and then unzipped to clean up any excess glue that might get into the zipper teeth. The glue set up fast today since it was warm in the garage. I’ll do it at night the next time. The foam weather stripping was added to see if it would compress ok and fill in the joint completely so it would be as heat and dust proof as possible. This weather stripping will probably go between each of the 6 roof sections for best insulation from heat, light and dust. The ends of each canvas joint will need to have the excess material trimmed away after the glue sets.

This is the completed roof and wall assembly with the zipper glued on. Normally the zipper won’t be glued on, but since this assembly was a prototype this is how I decided to make it a useful part of the Yurt so there is no wasted materials. It also showed me how to do a zipper repair in the future if needed. I could simply cut off the old zipper at the threads, and glue this zipper and canvas assembly over the joint. Maybe not as strong as a zipper sewn into a K-Hinge, but should hold up. We’ll find out, that’s for sure!

Today Bill and I went through ideas for the assembly process that I think would make for a ‘once piece’ fold out Yurt. I drew up some ‘paper dolls’ and we folded them into the most efficient shape for transporting them. There will be a couple of challenges but the assembly time on the playa will be very short and I hope can be done by just one person. What a claim!!

We also went to the store and picked up a couple of R-Max panels and some liquid nails in the 28oz tube. We looked at the 8oz canvas cloth at HD but it didn’t seem to be heavier than what I bought at the fabric store. I may take a trip to the army surplus to see if there is any canvas that is heavier.

We hope to get some testing going on the K hinge system, but Michael Jackson’s Memorial is tomorrow, so we may have to push out our testing one day.

I made up this sketch trying to describe to the AEZ folks what I mean by using canvas and Liquid Nails to hinge Yurt foam board panels together. I call it the K hinge. Today I found some decent weight canvas for testing my hinge design. I need to get the foam boards and some Liquid Nails to start the actual testing.