Sat 8 Jan 2011
This week getting more done on the spot welder has been my goal. There is a lot of details. I got more parts from Halted. The fet board in now tested and fully modified and assembled. I’ve gutted the chassis that the spot welder will be mounted into. It’s going to be a very tight fit. I’ve cut a base plate to mount the electronics onto.
With my experience with motor controllers, it seemed prudent to add a schottky diode and 10 ohm resistor to each fet’s gate pin. There is an issue with ringing on the fets. We are suppose to add a board full of schottky diodes to lower the ringing’s peak value to less than the voltage rating of the fet’s diodes. I used a pointed spiral bit for cut across each gate’s trace. The gap is just wide enough so that an 0805 sized resistor can fit across it. I used a 1/8″ endmill to remove the green solder mask to make solder pads for the new components. A very light touch was required to remove the solder mask without removing any copper. I used my Bridgeport mill for this mod.
Here they are with the heatsinks mounted. The one row of parts on the right, just clears the heatsink due to the double sided foam tape thickness. I still had to space the heatsink up off of the pcb a little more so that it did not contact the delicate glass diodes. The other two rows of parts were totally clear of the heatsinks.