Sun 2 Nov 2008
I just got done helicoiling the 6mm taped holes that hold
the battery box lid on the #1 truck. The front and back rows were done
quite awhile ago. But the side rows needed a rivet nut added to them
since they were out of alignment with the holes in the lid due to that
hydrogen thing that happened along time ago. The idea was to get the
battery box leak tight so it won’t leave me stranded with a ground
fault when the truck sits out in the rain at work.
The rivet nut is part number 95105A187 at McMaster.com. If your lid
holes and the threaded holes line up you won’t need it. A 6mm helicoil
will suffice. The side holes will need the 6mm long inserts. The front
and back rows will need the 8mm long inserts, or longer, since the
material is about 4 times thicker.
When it’s all done, then it’s nice to reseal the lid with some weather
stripping that does not stay permanently compressed like the factory
USE stuff does. So I added McMaster p/n 93625K231 (1.5″ wide) to the
bottom of the lid. Factory stuff was 1.25″ wide. It looks to compress
just right with 50 in-lbs of torque on the helicoiled screws. Without
helicoils, the aluminum will strip at 50 in-lbs eventually. This
weather stripping is rated to not compress over time. So it should
hold it’s sealing ability for a long time.
I only had enough weather stripping for 3 of the sides. So when the
next roll comes in I may remove the other stuff I substituted for the
Also I added 2 large diameter vents to the lid to allow higher volume
airflow through the pack. The 1/2″ pipe that was there before had a
lot of restriction. Now I’m using 1.75″ black plastic pipe adapters
and a 3″ cap to make up the vent assemblies. These are very high
flow and low restriction.
It has rained quite a bit lately so I’ll find out how well it all
works in the next few days.