50ah HiPower lithium cells from China are now on their way. I want to bench test them and install them into the truck just like with the Thundersky’s.
Fri 14 Nov 2008
Wed 12 Nov 2008
The nicads have been leaving a coating of KOH all over everything and really needed better ventilation. The holes for the fans were already there, but the vents were very small for this type of flooded battery pack. So I clamped the lid to the mill and CNC’d nice round 2 inch holes for the exit vents.
Sun 9 Nov 2008
The precharge relay in the USE vehicles is not durable enough to keep charging the capacitors from zero volts to 312vdc nominal, then taking them back down to zero volts. This precharge board is from a 65kw USE system. The goal is to duplicate the circuit and install it in both trucks as is it not available anywhere on the planet. This could seriously increase the precharge circuit reliability. I noticed years ago that there are a couple of tapped holes on the floor of the Dolphin. I wonder if holes 5 and 6 on this board match that hole pattern on the floor of the Dolphin?
Sat 8 Nov 2008
#1 Nicad truck
Had to add Rivet nuts to holes on sides of battery box to correct stripped threads.
Taped paper towels into each corner for use as water detector.
Replaced worn out weather seal with natural gum from McMaster.
Cells have 400+ miles on them.
Zero issues so far.
Ordering Hipower brand lithiums for testing as well.
Same format as Thundersky’s.
BMS needs to just be installed for monitoring cells.
Got interupted due to rain.
A multi conductor cable needs to be threaded from pack to cabin for data line.
BMS tested fine on bench.
Purchased in running condition with ruined pack.
Added 35ml of water to each of 6 cells, and charge cycled, to no avail on one EV-1 batt.
Needed Emeter heater and a/c fixed.
Emeter and Heater repaired.
Installed diesel truck block heater.
Factory defect in heater controls.
2700w heater element turns on before the water pump operates!!
Hinged bed works awesome!
Used Heim joints.
Added 2nd pair of gas struts to lift bed.
Bed lifts nicely.
Bed stays up easily without prop rod.
Plan to upgrade nicad truck with 2nd set of gas struts too.
Battery box needs nearly all holes helicoiled.
Added fuses to Dolphin to protect electronics.
Ordered tons of parts from GM.
Rollpan, antenna, blower switch, and cupholders.
Adding a blog to chronicle progress.
-Borrowed a board designed to replace the precharge relay on US Electricar vehicles.
Intend to reverse engineer and add to my vehicles.
Could be super reliable!!
Relay is $229.
-Dave’s Soleq wagon is running ok.
Regen is not working due to busted pot return spring.
But at least it’s driveable now.
He just bought a non running Solectria recently from Ebay.
-Home Power Magazine had an incredible article in their Oct/Nov 2008 issue that contains real test data on the cycle life of various brands of lead acid batteries!
-Bought a 240vac Variac for charging cells after a deep nicad cycling.
-The truck is 35lbs lighter because the driver lost 35lbs!
Sun 2 Nov 2008
I just got done helicoiling the 6mm taped holes that hold
the battery box lid on the #1 truck. The front and back rows were done
quite awhile ago. But the side rows needed a rivet nut added to them
since they were out of alignment with the holes in the lid due to that
hydrogen thing that happened along time ago. The idea was to get the
battery box leak tight so it won’t leave me stranded with a ground
fault when the truck sits out in the rain at work.
The rivet nut is part number 95105A187 at McMaster.com. If your lid
holes and the threaded holes line up you won’t need it. A 6mm helicoil
will suffice. The side holes will need the 6mm long inserts. The front
and back rows will need the 8mm long inserts, or longer, since the
material is about 4 times thicker.
When it’s all done, then it’s nice to reseal the lid with some weather
stripping that does not stay permanently compressed like the factory
USE stuff does. So I added McMaster p/n 93625K231 (1.5″ wide) to the
bottom of the lid. Factory stuff was 1.25″ wide. It looks to compress
just right with 50 in-lbs of torque on the helicoiled screws. Without
helicoils, the aluminum will strip at 50 in-lbs eventually. This
weather stripping is rated to not compress over time. So it should
hold it’s sealing ability for a long time.
I only had enough weather stripping for 3 of the sides. So when the
next roll comes in I may remove the other stuff I substituted for the
Also I added 2 large diameter vents to the lid to allow higher volume
airflow through the pack. The 1/2″ pipe that was there before had a
lot of restriction. Now I’m using 1.75″ black plastic pipe adapters
and a 3″ cap to make up the vent assemblies. These are very high
flow and low restriction.
It has rained quite a bit lately so I’ll find out how well it all
works in the next few days.