The second set of gas struts were installed today. The first 12″ of
bed lift is a bit easier, and that helps my back. But above 12″ the
bed lifts itself without my help very quickly. I used a 150 psi and a
130 psi strut on each side. With that much pressure on each side the
bracket had to be mounted a bit better. I also made new 1/4″ thick
brackets that moved the struts in right next to the frame for maximum
tire clearance.

The drivers side guide pin is no longer mounted. The weld nut that it
was screwed into got punched out as I let the bed drop the last 12″
too fast. I’m not sure if I’ll try and rework it since the bed feels
like it will hold itself down fairly easily with just it’s own weight.
I still like the guide pin idea as it keeps the bed more stable. I
will revisit this task after I get other stuff done first..

Lower strut is the additional 130psi unit.

Lower strut is the additional 130psi unit.

A longer bracket had to be machined to keep the struts away from the tires.

A longer bracket had to be machined to keep the struts away from the tires.

Strut mounts on Frame. Frame was tapped and nyloc nuts added..

Strut mounts on Frame. Frame was tapped and nyloc nuts added.